[On Monday, June 25, as part of the Center for Teaching's annual Summer Institutes, Bo Adams and Jill Gough are facilitating day 1 of a two-day workshop on PBL (project-based learning, problem-based learning, place-based learning, passion-based learning, etc.). The online course description is linked below, and the outline for day 1 follows. The pre-institute assignment (the "appetizers") and a short description of the "flights" structure can be found here.]
Synergy-PBL: Questions are waypoints on the path of wisdom #CFTSI12 (2 of 3)
The First Course: “School Tools” – PBL for the Adult Palette
(Day 1 – Monday, June 25, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
EL #1: I can share my deep understanding of PBL through PBL methods and pedagogies, as well as with direct-instruction and conversation.
EL #2: I can commit to PBL with student learners by working through stages of rapid-prototype planning, implementing, and assessing.
CHALLENGE: Because you are attending this Center for Teaching Summer Institute on PBL, the CFT intends to use you as PBL leaders in 2012-13 (and beyond!). Westminster is furthering its Learning for Life vision, and Drew Charter is envisioning a PBL high school, so PBL leaders are high in demand! We want to help you prepare your PBL-leadership tool belt. By the end of this CFT-SI, you will build and present a multi-media resource about PBL that you can use to support a host of adult and student learners engaging in the complex wonder of PBL! Consider it a crucial deposit in the bank of visionary work! [We may even go Pecha-Kucha or Ignite style!]
Resources to consider including in PBL multi-media tool:
- PBL Framework(s)
- PBL “Expert Voices” from research and practice
- PBL as “place-based,” “problem-based,” “passion-based,” as well as “project-based” [ideas around campus, Atlanta, etc.]
- PBL Video Resources – pictures are worth 1000s of words!
- Examples of PBL being tried and attempted/implemented
- Interviews – voices from students and adults about how and what we want to learn
- Ideas for PBL you intend to implement yourself
8:45 – 9:45 a.m.
Questions, Connections, & Empathy Flight
- POST-UP: What questions do you have about PBL and “the Challenge”, as well as questions about related opportunities such as integrated studies, teachers working in teams, etc.?
- AFFINITY MAP: What connections do we see in our questions and ideas?
- EMPATHY MAP: What’s it like to be a student? + provocations from “Writing-Is-Thinking” Flight of Pre-Assignments (How to Create an Empathy Map using Google Docs)
9:45 – 11:15 a.m.
School IS Real Life – From Simulations to Social Justice Flight
- World Peace and Other Fourth Grade Achievements - morning movie & popcorn!
- “Kiran Bir Sethi teaches kids to take charge” - and candy!
- Synergy 8 Ignite - and a Coke!
11:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Knowing Places and People Flights – Diners’ Choice
- Learning Walk Flight – Armed with an iPad, laptop, or other smart device, explore, inquire, and record by…
- Capturing at least 3 pictures of people, places, or things that could spur PBL;
- Archiving at least 2 video interviews of people discussing a possible learning project, problem, or passion;
- Brainstorming at least 1 idea for a community project. [BONUS: Base it on a synergy of the above!]
- “Bringing the news to life using Google Earth” Flight After reading Steve Goldberg’s What I Learned Today blog post http://wiltoday.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/news-to-life-google-earth/, use Google Earth to imagine and frame a project that enlivens the news and promotes empathy…
Lunch…PBL really stirs an appetite!
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail Flight
- UNDERSTANDING CHAIN or GRAPHIC GAMEPLAN: With a partner, craft a storyboard of your PBL multi-media tool concept. With one or the other of these two Gamestorms, we will be able to co-post our “slides” or “path points” on a common game board so that we can share across groups.
- Begin building assets, as time permits!
- Rapid-prototype presentations of storyboards before we adjourn for the day.
Synergy-PBL: Questions are waypoints on the path of wisdom #CFTSI12 (3 of 3)
The Second Course: “School’s Cool” – PBL for the Student-Learner
(Day 2 – Tuesday, June 26, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
Synergy-PBL: Questions are waypoints on the path of wisdom #CFTSI12 (After 3)
Coffee and Dessert: What Will Sweeten Your Teaching After #CFTSI12?
(180 Days of Possibility in 2012-13 – Keeping the Conversation Going)