[On Tuesday, June 26, as part of the Center for Teaching's annual Summer Institutes, Bo Adams and Jill Gough are facilitating day 2 of a two-day workshop on PBL (project-based learning, problem-based learning, place-based learning, passion-based learning, etc.). The online course description is linked below, and the outline for day 2 follows. The pre-institute assignment (the "appetizers") and a short description of the "flights" structure can be found here, and the outline for day 1 is here.]
Synergy-PBL: Questions are waypoints on the path of wisdom #CFTSI12 (3 of 3)
The Second Course: “School’s Cool” – PBL for the Student-Learner
(Day 2 – Tuesday, June 26, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
EL #1: I can share my deep understanding of PBL through PBL methods and pedagogies, as well as with direct-instruction and conversation.
EL #2: I can commit to PBL with student learners by working through stages of rapid-prototype planning, implementing, and assessing.
8:30 – 9:15 a.m.
Fail more…Fail Faster (Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail Reprise) Flight
- With your partner, use your PBL storyboard and developing asset pool to continue building your PBL multi-media tool. Remember to review the good thinking and storyboarding of other groups – it’s not “stealing,” it’s sharing and collaborating!
- Review and revise assets you made for self-selected “HW” last night…recycle, re-design, re-purpose, re-build,…
- At 9:00, we’ll do a quick sub-team check-in – by jigsawing among sub-teams – before we move on with the next flight. (Suggested protocol: THE 5 WHYS)
9:15 – 10:00 a.m.
Bloom’s Got Nothin’ On Us Flight
- Quick exploration and discussion of pbl-PBL matrix, a.k.a. “Adams-Gough Taxonomy.”
- Quiet reflection – place some of your current project work on a copy of the Adams-Gough Taxonomy.
- Brief share-out and mediated journal of possibilities for working in capital-P PBL (upper-right quadrant).
10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
I Am Not a Commitment-phobe Flight
- Using DESIGN THE BOX or COVER STORY, create a model and story to share with the group. The model and story should share a PBL idea that you will commit to implementing with your student learners in the first semester of 2012-13.
- At 10:35, we will hear 2-3 minute presentations from each designer/group.
- During each presentation, contribute post-it feedback: 1) I like…, 2) I wonder…, 3) I want to know more about…
11:00 – 11:59 a.m.
Pardon Our Noise…It’s the Sound of PBL Construction Flight
- Time to complete the next iteration of your rapid-prototype design for the multi-media PBL tool.
- Time to workshop some of the feedback that undoubtedly will arise from the “I Am Not a Commitment-phobe” Flight.
- Time to question, question, question – they are waypoints on the path of wisdom.
Lunch…PBL really stirs an appetite (especially on Day Two)!
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
On the TEDxCFT/IGNITE Stage Flight
- Each sub-team will have 15 minutes: 5 minutes for presentation of their multi-media PBL tool + 8 minutes of Q & A + 2 minutes of transition.
- Don’t Get Stuck – You Have What It Takes to Make the Next Steps!
- Invitation to “Coffee and Dessert” Flight
Synergy-PBL: Questions are waypoints on the path of wisdom #CFTSI12 (After 3)
Coffee and Dessert: What Will Sweeten Your Teaching After #CFTSI12?
(180 Days of Possibility in 2012-13 – Keeping the Conversation Going)
[Cross-posted on Experiments in Learning by Doing and Synergy2Learn]